To view the library's microfilm collection of Crook County newspapers from a remote computer:
1. Call the Crook County Library (Sundance) at (307) 283-1008. A staff member will power up the Microfilm Reader computer, install the microfilm reel you request, and give you logon information for remote viewing.
2. Go to logmein.com and follow logon instructions.
3. Click on Remote Control to access Microfilm Computer. Depending on what browser you are using, you might need to install a program. It will bring up the Microfilm Computer in a new window that you can maximize to full screen.
4. On desktop, double click on Viewscan Premium, then click on the blue dot next to Advanced Mode. This is a large program, so be patient. It takes a while for it all to load. There is a delay when using remote access, so be patient! All actions will not immediately show.
5. The first thing is to check the Positive Negative, located at the top of the screen. Click once to see if image improves, if not click again to go back to original.
6. Next, click the Auto Adjust Light Bulb. The computer many times can do a pretty good job with this and it will be all you need. If this doesn’t clear the image up, we’ll manually adjust shortly.
7. Then click on the green + sign below Digital Zoom. You may need to click on it several times to get the text readable. If the text is still fuzzy, you can manually adjust just the light levels – Adjust Light Levels - or light, brightness, contrast, and sharpen – Manual Adjust. You can also try the Focus In and Focus Out buttons. It will take some playing to get the image as you desire.
8. Now you can either slow forward with the white right arrow or fast forward with the red arrow, both located at the bottom of the screen, to find the page you are looking for. You can go up and down on the page by using the slider bar on the right side of the screen. If you go past what you are looking for, use the left white or red arrows.
9. When you find the article you want, click on the Cropping tab at the top left of the screen. Move the mouse around on the page – it is now a + sign. Put the + at the corner of the item to be cropped then drag down to capture. A blue box will appear around your selection. Right click and choose Scan Selection, it will save it to a bin at the bottom of the page. The first time you scan a selection it will give you a copyright notice, accept. If your article is in separate columns, or you want more than one item on a page, click on the Addition Tool at the top. This is scissor cropping where you can grab multiple articles or pictures and scan them to the bin at the bottom. Right click and Scan each one.
10. Once you have the selections you want, choose one from the bin at the bottom and click on it, then chose Target Area Enhancement. Here you can do multiple enhancements to make your image as clear as possible. When you complete your adjustments save the item.
11. If you have multiple selections and want to put them on one page, click on Clip Merge at the bottom. It will open a new window. Click on the + sign and a small window will open up with your captured items. Choose one and click Open. Then left click and drag to the size wanted. Do this for each item wanted on a page. Once you have what you want you can print or save them. You must print or save your selections from this window because it will dump all images once you exit. When you have printed or saved your selections close this window. Then you can continue and find more, you can print or email your saved items, or you can exit the program.
12. When you have all the articles and/or pictures you want, click on the file tab at the top of the screen. From here you can email, upload to FamilySearch, or save to Google Drive.
- Your best bet
would be to save to Google Drive or email your selections to yourself. You’ll
have to provide your Google Drive information to save to Google Drive.
- If you email, the
message sender will be “ViewScan Premiumfirstname.lastname@example.org”. Do not
reply to this email, it will not go to the Crook County Library.
- FamilySearch: you
must be a member of FamilySearch to upload pictures or documents.
13. When you are finished, click on the red x at the top right of the screen. It will ask if you are sure you want to end remote control, click yes. Go on your browser to the logmein page and click on disconnect. Finally, click on the down arrow next to the blue lettered email@example.com, and log out.